Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ask a scientist

I posted the following question to the Ask a Scientist website in week 2, "How did scientists discover what each organelle's function is?" Unfortunately, no answer was found on the website and I did not receive an email response, either. In our discussion last week, Moses Mitchell did give me an answer, which was, "scientists are able to see what each protein does and another interesting part is seeing what proteins are shared (have in common) with other organisms" (Mitchell, 2010, September 19). I plan to research this further to see if there are more specifics on identifying the organelles.
I have mixed feelings about using a site like this in my classroom. I think if the students receive no response to their question, then it would be frustrating for them, but if they receive a response, then it helps them to see that scientists are real people that they can relate to. I think a more beneficial idea would be to have scientists be guest speakers in the classroom.

Mitchell, M. (2010, September 19). Ask a Scientist. Message posted to EDUC 6662 discussion board, Week 2.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea of having guest speakers come into the classroom. That way students get to see a scientist right there in front of them and can get immediate answers to their questions. They also then have a face and person that they can think about when thinking about science or related fields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having real scientists come into the classroom would be great. As teachers, we are always looking for ways to involve the community. This would be a great outreach. And no offense to the internet, but students still need to develop people skills and not be in front of the computer all the time, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree we need community people to come in a visit classrooms. Students can ask better questions to live people than the internet.

    ReplyDelete